CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Nothing but Nets...

So I have never watched American Idol... before this season. Ben actually doesn't mind watching it, so we have been sucked in. So tonight they are doing their "tele-a-thon" which is great since aren't we always asking people to use their good fortune to help others. Well they just did a piece on malaria, which reminded me of another person who used his connections as a writer for Sports Illustrated to encourage others to purchase mosquito nets. Rick Reilly is far and away my favorite writer. This is part of the reason why. Normally you only see the initial article and no follow up. Well again here is another article that tells of all the good people are capable of doing.
I'm intrigued to see how well this "tele-a-thon" works. Oh and one of my goals this year is to make a significant donation to a good charity that serves my area...
Oh and please read the articles I've linked, I know he's from a sports magazine but he writes so well and its quite touching... here's the link to the charity also... Nothing but Nets

2 comments:

AJ said...

Great goal Sonya!

I have a similar goal, and I ended up choosing St. Jude's (a children's hospital that gives free/afordable health care to children with cancer and other horrible illnesses). They have a plan where you can donate $25/month so that throughout the year it's a decent donation, but it's not as hard on the wallet each month. I'm sure a lot of the bigger charities have plans like this now. It kind of is a win/win situation since you give smaller increments and they have a continuous source of mula, even after the annual big fundraiser.

Jericho Rose said...

What about the Humane Society? I love giving back to the animals or adopting one, but then you might end up with a crazy cat like Ringo.